What is this blog about?

This blog is the beginning of my journey through grief and loss and how God is moving all the while. I lost my husband and best friend, Eric to ALS on April 21, 2010. His grace is sufficient for me, has carried me through the fiercest storms and will continue to carry me until I meet Him face to face. I couldn't live another day without his Presence in my life. This blog will be a journal of my struggles and the ways He will show himself to me. I say this without even making my first entry, because I am confident He will be with me all the while. The title of this blog was inspired by a song I heard last week called "Moving all the While" by Sidewalk Prophets. It was exactly what I needed to be reminded of at that time. That is one small example of what I mean about God showing himself to me. I will use my own words, scripture from the most important book on this earth that is without error- The Bible, quotes from other helpful books I am reading, songs, people, circumstances and other ways God speaks to me. Please use the comment section on the blog as it encourages me to keep writing.

Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

I have had some time recently to reflect on God's goodness in my life.  On Friday morning I met with someone to discuss an opportunity to be a part of a women's ministry to work among many godly women that I have a huge amount of respect for and learn from them.   I know this is something God is going to use in my life to prepare me for something He has in store for me.  As I shared my testimony with her, I was reminded how God has walked me through so many things since I was saved at age 11.   
After the meeting, I was headed to Grand Rapids to see my niece on her birthday and noticed what a beautiful day it was as I headed downtown.  I decided that I would stop off downtown afterwards to walk around and see more of ArtPrize.  My first thought was maybe I should call someone to meet me down there and then I thought, No I think God is wanting me to spend some time with him alone today.  I was so glad I listened to that prompting.  I parked downtown, got out and walked for 3 1/2 hours enjoying and admiring the art, God's creation and the beautiful weather, watching people and I couldn't keep from smiling as I thought, what a good day.  How great is our God!  We are often too busy to take time like this to hear what God wants to tell you or see what He wants to show you or when we do, we fill it with all kinds of other things like other people or multi-tasking.  Don't get me wrong, I love being with people.  My family and friends are so important to me, but sometimes we don't have any time to ourselves to be quiet.  It felt really good.  I have a new appreciation for our city and wonder why I don't go there more often (besides the fact that it takes me 10 minutes to get out of it every time with all the one way streets and ongoing construction :).  I took lots of pictures of the art and then took these few shots of churches as I passed them.  It was cool how the sun shone behind each of them as I passed by to draw my attention to them.  I also love the view I had at the Grand Rapids Art Museum with the reflection of the city and the beginning of the changing colors of the season in the pool outside the window.

I discovered this new look on life last summer when I took a week in Grand Haven by myself with no kids in a small home I rented downtown. I had time to read, pray, walk the pier, shop downtown, go to the beach and just enjoy life and all that God has given me. I have lived in West Michigan most of my life and never learned to appreciate in this way the unique cities surrounding me, the beauty of Lake Michigan or all the other wonderful things that are within my reach if I just take some time to explore. Please remind me of this when I complain about the winter months.  There is always something God wants to show us about his creation.  Now I know some of you will be saying it is impossible to take that time for myself like you have and I do understand what it is like to have minimal free time and just trying to keep your head above water.  There are seasons in our lives when it is harder to take the time God wants to spend with us and hear from Him. 
I was working on my daughter's weekly bible study book she gets each Sunday at church late Saturday night as usual so she could earn her coin today at church for a prize and it said on the last page to take 5 minutes to pray and talk to God and tell him how we feel about him.  I asked her if she thought she could take 5 minutes of her day and pray to God or just sit quiet and she threw herself down and started to cry and thought it was way too much to ask of her.  I was shocked and tried to talk to her about how God wants us to talk to Him and spend time with Him each day.  She said, "well you don't" so I started to tell her things I did to spend time with him and then thought, I don't need to justify my time with her, but with God.  I need to be an example to my kids so that they see me taking quiet moments to pray or read my Bible too so it doen't seem like a chore to them.  I was so saddened by my daughter's response and I thought how much more it grieved God and how often I grieve God when I am too busy to take at least 5 minutes of my day to spend alone with Him.  I know this post doesn't have a lot to do with grieving, but my walk with Christ is such a huge part of my life and my future and I felt led to share it with anyone who chooses to read this.  My hope is that you are challenged like me and become more deliberate to find those quiet moments with God on a regular basis. 
Please keep me in your prayers as I have been asked to speak at Grand Haven Christian school's  Chapel this month.  I am asking God what He wants me to share on the topic of how God amazes me.  This will be hard to narrow down into 15 minutes so I want Him to speak through me to these students. 

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  Romans 8:28


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your faithfulness to doing what God has called you to do. I know God will use you in a powerful way at GH Christian.

    ReplyDelete