What is this blog about?

This blog is the beginning of my journey through grief and loss and how God is moving all the while. I lost my husband and best friend, Eric to ALS on April 21, 2010. His grace is sufficient for me, has carried me through the fiercest storms and will continue to carry me until I meet Him face to face. I couldn't live another day without his Presence in my life. This blog will be a journal of my struggles and the ways He will show himself to me. I say this without even making my first entry, because I am confident He will be with me all the while. The title of this blog was inspired by a song I heard last week called "Moving all the While" by Sidewalk Prophets. It was exactly what I needed to be reminded of at that time. That is one small example of what I mean about God showing himself to me. I will use my own words, scripture from the most important book on this earth that is without error- The Bible, quotes from other helpful books I am reading, songs, people, circumstances and other ways God speaks to me. Please use the comment section on the blog as it encourages me to keep writing.

Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Where has the time gone....

It has been several months since my last post and my life has been full!  I have a feeling this blog may come to an end as a new chapter in my life has begun again but I wanted to write a quick update to let you know how I have been and hopefully to encourage some of you. 
I am studying the book of Acts in Bible Study Fellowship this year and it has been a struggle getting into the word daily as I get so busy with life.  It is something I am in great need to do more of as God ALWAYS speaks to me through his Word.  But, studying the life of Paul has been so inspiring to me this year as he has endured so many trials in his life but always chooses joy.  In Acts 16, when Paul and Barnabus decided to part ways and chose new companions to spread God's word, they listened to God and obeyed and covered more territory and affected more lives than if they would have stayed together.  The principal from lecture and my notes that stuck with me is "God's stops are as important as his directions to move ahead.  When God shuts the door upon your desired plans, are you alert to perceive it because He has a better door for you to enter?"  In other words, when things change in my life and don't go as expected, do I insist on going my own way or am I open to hear what God has planned for me?  I have been asking God for a lot of direction in my life and I believe He has been blessing me with a complete sense of peace and joy.  I know He always has a plan for my life and wants good things for me and my kids.  I still have purpose in my life although it had felt like a "stop" when Eric passed away. 
The holidays have been both wonderful and difficult this year.  This is our first year withouth Kristi here with us and we miss her so much as we remember her smile and the joy she brought to our lives.  We miss Eric's infectious smile too and it still doesn't seem right that they are both no longer here with us.  It may never make sense until we reach heaven.  We just have to trust God who works all things for good.  My grandpa Ditmar passed away on December 29th this year.  He was 88 years old and leaves my grandma behind.  Even after living a full life, it is so hard to lose someone we love, even into the arms of Jesus.  In heaven, there will be no more sickness, sadness or death.  I can't even fathom that, but long for it. 
I was able to take a trip with my sister in law, Stephanie that we had planned last May with my sister before she got so much sicker.  We cancelled that trip to spend time here with her with no regrets.  Last minute, we were able to take Ashley(Kristi's daughter) with us in January.  What a blessing that was.  She is so much like Kristi and we had so much fun getting away for a little bit together.  Here is a video recap of our trip:  Don't forget to mute the jukebox at top right before playing the videos on this post. 


To fill you all in on my relationship, I have been dating Todd for almost 6 months now.  I can't believe it has been that long as I type this and then sometimes it feels like it has been way longer than that.  I am so blessed to have him in my life.  He is an answer to prayer and after lots of praying and even fasting, I am convinced that it is true.  Isn't it funny how we pray for something and then we still have to pray and ask God constantly, "is this from You?"  I picture God saying "Yes, my child"  and I say "Are you sure?" and God says "silly child, you can trust Me".  We have really grown close to eachother through spending time together and time with our families and friends.  We have great conversations and are so much in love. He has three kids that I adore and have quickly grown to love and he loves my kids.  I know this is strange and difficult for some of our closest family and friends and at the same time, they are so happy for us too.  I understand that completely.
We have even looked at our relationship through http://www.prepare-enrich.com/ which is a relationship assessment recommended by my Pastor that helped us look at many aspects of our personalities seperatley and together as a couple and stimulates conversation and direction for the future.  We met with my Pastor a few times and reviewed the test which was exciting and encouraging to us.  We are highly compatable which I already knew and better yet, it said as a couple, the two of us could accomplish a lot together which is our desire.  I have always thought, I can do so much more for God's kingdom with someone else who shares my passion for Christ.  I am still reading books on healing, relationships after death, etc and Todd reads them too.  A few really good ones I have read lately are "From We to Me" http://www.mlive.com/living/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/08/new_book_from_we_to_me_asks_be.html which talks about the decision to date again or stay single after death or divorce.  Also, I read "Love, Sex and Happily Ever After" http://books.google.com/books?id=DJKW-GK9xVoC&pg=PT1&lpg=PT1&dq=love+sex+and+happily+ever+after&source=bl&ots=6JiFrqJiX1&sig=5UKmecrAkYontWUO1GNzbx7wgNM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uIMYT7qLI8vhggeO0rXiCw&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=love%20sex%20and%20happily%20ever%20after&f=false  this book was really good and tough to read as I know what God expects from me and I want to honor God with my life and actions and I want Him to bless me and a future marriage and spouse by remaining pure and keeping God #1 in my life.  It is subtitled "preparing for a marriage that goes the distance".  Who doesn't want that for their life? 
I will close this with some pictures and my annual animated Christmas card that recaps this year.  I am blessed beyond measure with my wonderful children and my family and friends and a man who loves me deeply.  I am blessed to have found true love twice in my life and excited for what the future holds for me. 



Blessings to you in 2012!
Love,
Lori

1 comment: