What is this blog about?

This blog is the beginning of my journey through grief and loss and how God is moving all the while. I lost my husband and best friend, Eric to ALS on April 21, 2010. His grace is sufficient for me, has carried me through the fiercest storms and will continue to carry me until I meet Him face to face. I couldn't live another day without his Presence in my life. This blog will be a journal of my struggles and the ways He will show himself to me. I say this without even making my first entry, because I am confident He will be with me all the while. The title of this blog was inspired by a song I heard last week called "Moving all the While" by Sidewalk Prophets. It was exactly what I needed to be reminded of at that time. That is one small example of what I mean about God showing himself to me. I will use my own words, scripture from the most important book on this earth that is without error- The Bible, quotes from other helpful books I am reading, songs, people, circumstances and other ways God speaks to me. Please use the comment section on the blog as it encourages me to keep writing.

Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My Chicago Adventure







Well, last week I was off to the Windy City, well a little west of Chicago to a studio in Aurora, IL.  I was asked about a month ago by my godly widow, Miriam Neff,  to be part of a video series for http://www.widowconnection.com/ She wanted to do some interviews with me for this series.  I didn't hesitate to say yes because I love it when God gives me opportunities to share with others.  I know God didn't cause me to be in this situation, but I am here never the less and if I can do something good with it that will help others, then dog gone it, I'm in!  So I decided to make it a road trip.  This one was three generations of girls.  Eric's mom has never been to Chicago and Maddie hasn't either so us three girls headed out for an adventure.  We arrived in Aurora the night before and swam and relaxed in the hotel then got up early the next morning and headed to the Studio to meet Miriam and her crew.  She had a make-up artist there to touch up our make-up and that she did!  I was airbrush sprayed and painted all pretty.  I never have worn so much blush and lip stick in my life.  I guess it's a lights and camera thing.  I started to get nervous.... This was for real and what was I doing here???  I got to relax in the green room for a little bit and other widows had arrived.  I met some amazing women that day and love the connections I get pretty instantaneously with other widows.  I started to get relaxed again.  They wanted to get some B shots with me, Maddie and Grandma Fox interacting and me with other widows, etc. for the intro for the videos which was fun and a little awkward.  I am not by any means an actress, so when you tell me to do something specific, I just start to laugh as I think of myself trying to do it, but it was fun!  Maddie was a star and her and grandma got to get made up too.  Maddie kept saying "Mom, I need more lip gloss".  It was time for my first interview and I headed into the studio that looked like a set from Beth Moore and I started to get anxious again.  I sat in a chair and prayed while they were going through Miriam's teleprompter.  "God, not my words, but Yours.  I don't know what to say. Amen."  I sat across from Miriam and she said you and me are having a conversation (one widow to another) and that instantly calmed my nerves as I was looking at her, not the camera's and lights and people in the studio and could just talk to her.  I don't know for sure all I said or how it sounded but both interviews went good.  As always, when I am done doing something God wants me to do, I breathe a great big sigh of relief!  After that, we stayed for some more outdoor shots and headed out having made some new friends 7 hours after we arrived.  What an amazing day that was.  I loved it all!  The video series should be finished by September and will be available for widow groups. 
We headed back towards Chicago to finish our trip with the Cheesecake Factory for dinner and downtown Chicago the next day.  We spent plenty of time at the American Girl doll store at Water Tower Place on Michigan Ave.  Now this was an experience.  Maddie was so excited as we had been talking about this for a while and now we were finally there.  She picked the new doll from Hawaii named Kanani Akina and then we had to look at every other doll and outfit and accessory in the store, check out the doll salon to get her ears pierced and then finish it off by having lunch in their cafe with our new family member.  After that, we took a narrated boat ride through the city on the river and out through the Locks to Lake Michigan to view the city skyline.  It was a great day despite losing my $33.00 parking ticket to get us out of the garage.  We arrived home almost midnight exhausted but refreshed in our souls.  Here are some photos of our day in Chicago:



This ends my post on Chicago, as once again, it is the middle of the night and I can't sleep but need to try.  I have been so busy lately running kids and picking up extra kids that I need to get sleep to keep my sanity.  My next post may shock some of you ... Could Lori be dating?  Oh, this could be interesting...stay tuned :)

6 comments:

  1. Nice teaser Girl! Love ya:) Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to leave us hangin'! :) So glad you had a great trip to Chicago! It's amazing to see how God is using you... God bless, my friend! Wish we were closer to have coffee and just chat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lori for continuing to share your life with us... I love reading & seeing how God is guideing you & having you witness to others of His Goodness. Know that there is always someone praying for you & your family!
    And as always I am waiting for your next post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have an inside scoop...:) My bets are yes...to the cliffhanger question!! YAY!!! -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update, Lori. What an amazing trip. But then, you are an amazing person. I'm thinkin' a certain "someone" needs to make an appearance at Life Church! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lori, for sharing this BLOG with us.
    I believe that the dust is finally settling for me and I can see some things more clearly.
    Like the love that the Lord Jesus Christ has for me. ME! Sometimes I just cannot grasp that! And more often than I'd like to admit, I take it for granted.
    I listened to sermon that my husband preached back in 2006 and he quoted this poem, I wanted to share it with you.

    I walked a mile with Pleasure;
    She chatted all the way;
    But left me none the wiser
    For all she had to say.

    I walked a mile with Sorrow,
    And ne’er a word said she;
    But, oh! The things I learned from her,
    When sorrow walked with me.

    -Robert Browning Hamilton


    In Him, looking ever Heavenward,
    Angi Swan

    ReplyDelete