What is this blog about?

This blog is the beginning of my journey through grief and loss and how God is moving all the while. I lost my husband and best friend, Eric to ALS on April 21, 2010. His grace is sufficient for me, has carried me through the fiercest storms and will continue to carry me until I meet Him face to face. I couldn't live another day without his Presence in my life. This blog will be a journal of my struggles and the ways He will show himself to me. I say this without even making my first entry, because I am confident He will be with me all the while. The title of this blog was inspired by a song I heard last week called "Moving all the While" by Sidewalk Prophets. It was exactly what I needed to be reminded of at that time. That is one small example of what I mean about God showing himself to me. I will use my own words, scripture from the most important book on this earth that is without error- The Bible, quotes from other helpful books I am reading, songs, people, circumstances and other ways God speaks to me. Please use the comment section on the blog as it encourages me to keep writing.

Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Remembering it is the Lord who determines my steps, confessions of an excessive planner

The devotional from Jesus Calling on Sept 17 hit me between the eyes hard.  It says:
"You will not find my peace by engaging in excessive planning:  attempting to control what will happen to you in the future.  That is a commonly practiced form of unbelief.  When your mind spins with multiple plans, Peace may sometimes seem to be within your grasp; yet it always eludes you.  Just when you think you have prepared for all possibilities, something unexpected pops up and throws things into confusion. 
I did not design the human mind to figure out the future.  That is beyond your capability.  I crafted your mind for continual communication with Me.  Bring Me all your needs, your hopes and fears.  Commit everything into My care.  Turn from the path of planning to the path of Peace."
Proverbs 16:9 says In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. 
Well, those of you who know me, know that I like to have a plan and like to be in control of things.  I'm good at it, I'm pretty organized, I like to look into things, research the best options, know what my day looks like, keep a schedule.  I like a good plan because it helps me to feel like I have some control of things.  There is definitely some good in this, but I have taken this part of me and find myself using it to try to plan how my future will go and even trying to plan my grief process.  I forget to give God my needs, hopes and fears.  He is the one who has my future in his hands!  I read this devotion and realized how much I try to do things on my own and realized I may be missing his true Peace when I don't let Him direct my steps. 
As a new season begins and school and routines are back in full swing, I am praying that God will direct my steps as I am making new commitments and taking care of the kids needs as well as my own.

4 comments:

  1. I will be praying that for you also Lori!
    -chippy

    P.S. I love the new pictures of you & the kids! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That devotional really hit me too - oh how I love a planned and organized day! I remember reading that last week and thinking "wow, He's talking to me!". Amazing how one book can be so personal for many people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting that devotional- I have the planning need/skill/control as well.

    Makes one think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From one excessive planner to another...I feel your pain! God's really good at reminding me just Who is in charge of the plan though. ;-) Praying you have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete